Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Girliness

So Girliness is getting big. Growth spurting. Looking pre-teenish a tad early, but I see it there.

And she made dinner tonight. *sigh* my big Girliness. Put it in bowls and brought it out to everyone and didn't even act like it was extraordinary - in fact, she just kind of *did* it without announcing it or anything. Girliness has never been super interested in cooking or place-setting or even in food - sure she enjoys it but she's always been really casual about it with no passionate likes or dislikes. She's never really been a tea party and play kitchen kinda kid. So this feels like the very grown-up action of taking care of dinner, particularly with this whole attitude of no-big-deal she's got going. I'm trying to communicate that this feels different and mature even though it is nothing extraordinary for someone her age to be able to make and place a meal, and it isn't coming out right. And I'm probably just reading more into it than I should simply because I'm feeling happy/sad about her growing out of her little-girl looks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well. I get it.

I see it in her too so it's not just you, and it's sort of ....disconcerting, if not in a bad way.

Aimee said...

"all little girls grow up." that's what my grandmother told my mom when i got boobies. i know you know, but sometimes it's good to hear it from an external source. she's beautiful, nik, and you've done an awesome job of raising her...

Marie said...

I think she is extraordinary. I know 18 year Olds that can't cook a meal and serve it with out making a huge deal of the hole thing. She going to grow, but she has so much goodness in her (Just like her Mom) that that can only be a great thing.