Sunday, February 08, 2009

Of course

Of course, primip births over the weekend that my MIL, my weekend "if-I-get-called" babysitter, is out of town.

Had my first experience with a placenta that just *would not* (not after an hour, or after a crapload of drugs, or after manual removal) come out. Finally extracted a gnarly-looking most-of-a-placenta that obviously had a cotyledon missing. And off to the hospital. Luckily the 9lb babe, postterm by examination, was happy and healthy.

And I officially hate prelabor rupture of membranes when the woman is GBS positive. UGGGHHHHH. Can I officially *detest* it when she lives over an hour away, so it isn't like I can just zoom in for a dose of antibiotics and a pep talk?

I'm not feeling quite so lost at this new place now. I suppose you could say I've settled in a lot more in the past week, having done a lot more and talked a lot more with my preceptors, but I remain uncomfortable there for a variety of small reasons that aren't particularly important, but add up. I'm also not sure whether it is about a mismatch on some level or about my complete readiness to be done with this whole schooling thing. I'm not saying that I don't need more experience; I'm just saying I'm tired and ready to be done living this way.

No comments: