Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Maybe it's the Barometric Pressure?

I came in late today, a little after 8am rather than at shift-change at 7am, only to find out I'd missed three births in that hour. I got there just in time for a birth, and had finished postpartum (got baby's shots done and latched on, everybody stable) and moved on to measuring babies by the time T arrived at the hospital. It was VERY HOT at the hopital today. Even the midwives and staff, who normally are fairly impervious, were sheltering in the delivery rooms or fanning themselves.

A twin mom arrived around 11am, was asked (it looked like the 5th or so time according to her chart) if she really wanted a c-section - they were actually game for a vaginal delivery, breech first twin and all, not that the doctor tried to sell her on the idea at all. Despite the fact that she was a multip in labor, they scheduled her c-section for 2pm.

In the meantime, T and I did a birth together; T caught, I assisted, and one of the midwives observed.

As we were finishing that up, we saw the twin mom getting wheeled off a tad bit early for her section. We ran off down the hall in pursuit, changed into scrub-dresses and crocs (the operating-room uniform, oddly enough) and arrived well before the doctors did. The first baby came out breech and pretty much fine, the second the doctor had to do an awful lot of fishing-around for. Both received PPV long after they stopped needing it (what on earth that was about, I don't know). Two decent-sized (2.7k and 3.2k) babies, a boy and a girl, looking slightly undercooked; this mom's first baby had been 4.4k. Multiply those numbers by 2.2 to get pounds, I'm too lazy...

There were three more moms in labor when we left, none of them particularly close to delivery. One of them had brought along a husband/boyfriend/something that was actually involved in labor support and excited to see all the new babies, something men around here aren't very active in at all. Sadly, I am pretty sure he got shut out of the delivery room, although he didn't look upset...just excited about all the babies he was seeing come through the ward.

T got some pictures of the twin c-section, look at her blog (link to the right) to see if she posts any!

We left the hospital in relatively good shape, and made it back to the "resort" before a major rain hit. Maybe that's why so many women were in labor today.

I am missing my family tonight, after BittyPrincess had some tears while we talked on Skype. I'm taking some solace in the fact that she probably wouldn't have started up if she hadn't been shushed because she kept interrupting everybody else to shout random things at me.

The business plan - this is a school assignment - needs some work tonight, as does the senior paper. Tomorrow, a day off, and a touristy around-the-island excursion for T and me.

No comments: