Saturday, December 26, 2009

Spoiled Children! aka The Christmas Frenzy

BittyPrincess, our solstice baby, is now officially 5. Where did THOSE years go? I can't believe it. If she was our last baby, we'd have all school-aged children. WOW. On her birthday, she requested shrimp pasta and a sunshine cake. Done and done, although the sunshine cake was really just a 11" round cake with triangle cut-outs and cream cheese frosting+food coloring. For some reason the cake wound up tasting a little like cornbread; strange considering the volume of sugar I dumped into it. It got eaten (a lot) anyway. No pictures, 'cause we suck.

From Boyness' birthday through Christmas, I must have used the stand mixer almost every day. I love that thing. I was considering how much it would suck if it broke the other day, when I accidentally smeared cream cheese into one of the venty-looking things that must help cool the little enginey-thing (how technical I am today!). I might cry. Cry, and never make angel food cake, frosting, or whipped cream again.

Anyways, ON TO CHRISTMAS! While our broke-ass little immediate family was firmly nonconsumeristic (not that you have a choice when your bank account is already negative) this year, spending (Santa included) just $20 per child, our extended families MORE than made up for it. In fact, Christmas at MIL's was like an overprivileged holiday marketing frenzy. Not that the kids minded. They each got top items from their wish lists from their uncle and his GF. The only thing that saved me from feeling upstaged (honestly, not that I would have minded, I was actually kind of counting on it) was the fact that they swirled around showing off the "magic" cloaks I made them all day.

We got very few photos. So here they are, the few photos we do have:





I told you we didn't have many. None at MIL's.

On we go towards a new year! Today, a day of recuperation from the gifting frenzy at MIL's. The kids are happily exploring their new toys and games. And I am needing to clean the last remnants of Christmas baking/cooking mess left in my kitchen and figure out what to do with the rest of the baked goods we do have, since nobody here has a serious enough sweet tooth to go through THAT much cheesecake or THAT many cookies.

By the way, having kids that are old enough to clean up after themselves (mostly) is AWESOME.

No comments: